URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS
Harrison’s Manual of Medicine 20th edition provides 600+ internal medicine topics in a rapid-access format. Download Harrison’s App to iPhone, iPad, and Android smartphone and tablet. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- The term urinary tract infection encompasses a variety of clinical entities.
- Cystitis: symptomatic disease of the bladder
- Pyelonephritis: symptomatic disease of the kidney
- Prostatitis: symptomatic disease of the prostate
- Asymptomatic bacteriuria (ASB): asymptomatic infection identified by a screening urine culture unrelated to the genitourinary tract
- Uncomplicated UTI refers to acute disease in nonpregnant outpatient women without anatomic abnormalities or instrumentation of the urinary tract; complicated UTI refers to all other types of UTI.